Tourists are greeted by a 300-foot wide beach lined by three-mile concrete oceanfront Boardwalk. Activities include lazy days over the beach, the state parks and Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge beckon, hiking, kayaking, and bicycling adventures. Fishing, golfing, whale watching, dolphin watching, historic landmarks, and thrilling attractions and popular events are a part of the Beach experience.
The resort city of Virginia Beach offers a lot to the tourists from all around the world which makes it one of the ultimate vacation spot. The town has experienced plentiful periods of expansion over time and people moved down to live in this beautiful resort city to escape the big city life. This beach resort boasts miles of beaches, abundant points of interest, and so much more, but here i will discuss some facts you may need to know about Virginia Beach.
1) Virginia Beach is an independent city located in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area of Virginia, by the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.
2) It is the most populous city in Virginia and the 41st largest city in the United States.
3) Cape Henry was the site of the first landing of the English colonists, who ultimately settled in Jamestown, on April 26, 1607. In 1607, after a journey of 144 days, three ships headed by Commander Christopher Newport carrying 105 men and boys complete their first landfall in the New World where the Atlantic Ocean meets the southern mouth of the Chesapeake Bay in the northeastern part of the city.
4) To remember the lives lost in the 1891 shipwreck of the Norwegian barque Dictator off the shoreline of Virginia Beach and the lifesaving efforts of the community. Norwegian sculptor Ørnulf Bast was commissioned to make two nine-foot bronze replicas of the original figurehead. The Norwegian Lady-statues were unveiled on September 22, 1962. One was presented as a gift to Virginia Beach, and an exact duplicate was erected in Moss, Norway to unite both cities. Each statue faces another across the Atlantic Ocean.
5) The city is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as having the longest pleasure beach in the world.
In addition to beautiful oceanfront this resort city offers many attractions for all ages. Ocean Breeze Water Park a family friendly, Caribbean paradise, 1 miles south of the Oceanfront – 16 water slides, million gallon wave pool and water playground, First Landing State Parks is the most visited Virginia state park, is nestled in Virginia Beach, Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, Virginia. The museum offers thousands of animals representing over 300 species. The exhibits at the museum are contained in over 700,000 gallons of fresh and saltwater displays.